newton_pharmacy_home

ABN: 13093540601

 

Ground Floor, 45-47 York Street  (AWA Building Opp Wynyard Park) Sydney 2000

 

WELCOME TO NEWTON'S PHARMACY

For Mail Order Inquiries and Consultation Booking:

Telephone: 612 9267 7889,  612 9264 1653   

 

Newton's Pharmacy has been a dedicated supplier of medicinal herbs, homoeopathic remedies and biochemical compounds since 1885. Our extensive range of dry herbs, herbal extracts and homoeopathic medicines has supported practitioners and the public for generations.

More recently, we have developed as a compounding pharmacy meeting the individual needs of our customers and prescribers. Our compounding pharmacists have the skills and equipment to manufacture a wide range of custom made formulations, including regulated pharmaceuticals and natural nutritional, herbal or homeopathic medicines. 

Our focus is on complete and quality service to customers worldwide. Our dedicated team of qualified practitioners are able to provide up to to date information about modern and alternative treatments and advice about the products required to meet customer’s needs on a personal level.
Our Practitioners provide professional consultations by appointment. The consultation fee for one hour consultation is $105.00 and for half an hour is $60.  

Free of charge consultations for up to 10 minutes are also available, please call to arrange time, as there is high demand for their time and advice. 

More information about our Practitioners: Our Practitioners and Compounding Chemists

 
 

                                 

 

Our History &  Future Vision

1885 - 1974

Edward Allen Newton, a trained pharmacist and a herbalist, established the original Newton's pharmacy at 561 George Street, near the corner with Bathurst, in Sydney in 1885. When Edward died in 1912, the business passed to his son Edward James Newton, medical herbalist, who later became Professor Emeritus of Herbal Medicine of New South Wales. The business moved to 323 Pitt Street, Sydney in the YMCA building and remained there from at least the 1930s until the early 1980s. The business continued to operate as a specialist herbal and general pharmacy, with an entire level dedicated to the compounding and preparation of  traditional herbal and homoeopathic remedies.

            GeorgeStChemist1905ALICE_SARAH_NEWTON,_MB.1898Mortar

 
When E.J. Newton passed away in 1960, the business was owned by his two sons, Frederick Orrell Newton and Edward Allen Newton. After his brother's death in 1974, Frederick sold the business name to Ted Herr, a pharmacist and a homeopath with German heritage, who previously trained and worked for Fisher & Co Homeopathic Pharmacy at 337 George Street, Sydney.

1974 - 2020

Ted Herr was the pharmacist who introduced  homoeopathy and Fisher's Phospherine tonic to Newton's pharmacy.

He used his pharmacy training with homoeopathy and medicinal herbalism and continued Newton's legacy of balanced integrated care that has now been serving the community for over a century. Ted Herr had a remarkable knowledge and ongoing interest in the advances of pharmacy, herbal medicine and homoeopathy, coupled with genuine compassion and desire to help people regain their health. He dedicated most of his time giving free consultations to all those in need of advice and is still remembered with gratitude and love by many customers and their descendants. His vision, generosity, and dedication to customers' health transformed the pharmacy to a wellbeing clinic and a one stop apothecary offering general pharmacy products, natural herbal and homeopathic medicines, and free consultations. 

In 1975 The Canberra Times provided an advertisement for Newton's Pharmacy stating that it was 'the only Homeopathic, Biochemic and Herbal Chemists in Australia and New Zealand'.  They were also manufacturers of 'vitamins and nerve tablets (non habit forming) and claimed to hold a 'complete stock of medicinal herbs and homeopathic medicines'. 

Newtons_Pharmacy_323_Pitt Vintage-Australian-advertising-1950s-ad-FISHERS-PHOSPHERINE-NERVE a_Homeopathy-antique-bottles-Newtons
 
In the early 1980's, Ted Herr's own health started to deteriorate with age and he decided to share the burden by forming partnership with two younger and energetic pharmacists/herbalists, who were running the day to day business while he continued providing free consultations and advice to the customers.
Ted sold his share soon after and the pharmacy was then moved to 119 York Street, opposite the QVB building in Sydney, and remained there until 2020.

 

  Newtons_Pharmacy2 Newtons_Pharmacy_2000s

 

 

1ST JUN 2020 -                                                                      

On the 1st of June, 2020, Newton's relocated again, this time to a landmark of Sydney, the ground floor hall of the famous AWA Building, at 45-47 York Street, opposite Wynyard park.

The AWA building with its tower was built as a new headquarters for Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Ltd in York Street in 1939. This company, incorporated in 1913, was the first to manufacture commercial radios in Australia, in 1920.

Newton's pharmacy is now occupying the amazing art-deco hall of the AWA, featuring high ceilings and decorated walls, a large, state of the art compounding lab and equipment, all in line with Newton's Brand of wholistic care, integrating the natural and traditional with the modern. 

To learn more about the history and symbolism incorporated in the architecture and the artworks featured on the walls of our new store, come to see for yourself or check the following link: 

AWA Building - History and Symbolism

Our pharmacists are also fully qualified herbalists, experienced in pharmaceutical compounding. All staff members are practitioners in different modalities of complementary medicine such as naturopathy, nutrition, iridology, homoeopathy, ayurveda, aromatherapy, flower essences and more. Our pharmacists continue Ted Herr's legacy of genuine care and free professional consultations. For information, advice or to book consultation, please visit the store, give us a call, or get in touch by email.

Newtons_AWA-2Newtons_AWA-b

 

Entry_Signage2b

PCCA_Member_logo_-_171___CMYK