D-ribose is also unique in that it does not raise your blood sugar, unlike glucose and fructose (sugar from fruits).
D-ribose is generally safe as a short-term supplement for those recovering from Adrenal Fatigue. However, D-ribose side-effects include diarrhea, nausea, headache, and stomach discomfort. It also has been shown to cause a drop in blood sugar levels.
1) D-Ribose May Treat Heart Disease and Improve Heart Health
D-ribose increases ATP levels in heart cells and improves heart function by improving the efficacy of the heart muscle.
Congestive heart failure is a condition in which heart muscles don’t pump blood as well as they should. In a study of 15 congestive heart failure patients, D-ribose improved heart function. (1)
2) D-Ribose Helps with fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
A pilot study of 41 patients with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome found that 5 grams of D-ribose daily improved energy, sleep, mental clarity, pain intensity, and well-being. (2)
3) D-Ribose Replenishes Energy Reserves
D-ribose enhances the recovery of energy reserves following inadequate blood supply to organs and tissues after high-intensity exercise.
4) D-Ribose Improves Muscular Strength
5) D-Ribose May Help with Restless Leg Syndrome
8) D-Ribose May Protect the Kidneys
9) D-Ribose May Protect the Brain
10) D-Ribose May Improve weight loss
11) D-Ribose May Reduce Testicular Toxicity Caused by Aluminum